Here is the list of most famous flowering trees in India along with few more common flowering trees.
1) Lagerstroemia speciosa :- Lagerstroemia speciosa tree is known as pride of India and blooms only once in a year during the peak of summer. Lagerstroemia speciosa along with Cochlospermum religiosum are sacred in Buddhism.
2) Silk Cotton Tree/Bombax ceiba :- Silk Cotton Tree or commonly known as cotton tree is a beautiful red flowers tree that contains white fibres cotton. This tree is commonly known as semal in Hindi and planted in parks and on roadsides in India.
3) Golden Shower Tree/Cassia fistula :- Golden Shower Tree also known as the golden rain tree is native to the Indian subcontinent. The golden shower tree also used in herbal medicine and very popular ornamental flowering plant in India.
4) Indian Coral Tree/Erythrina variegata :- Erythrina variegata or Indian coral tree is native to the Indian Subcontinent, Africa and Australia. The ornamental tree grows wild across India and its bark and leaves are used for medicine.
5) Gulmohar/Delonix regia :- Delonix regia tree is known as Gulmohar in India and one of several trees known as flame tree. The flamboyant grown as an ornamental tree and also a useful shade tree in India like Neolamarckia cadamba.
6) Rain Tree/Albizia saman :- Albizia saman flowering tree is the most common in India, planted on roadsides and a useful shade tree. The Rain Tree is a wide canopied tree with its reddish pink colored flowers.
7) Yellow Flame/Peltophorum pterocarpum :- Yellow flame tree is one of the most common ornamental tree grown around India. Peltophorum pterocarpum grown as an ornamental tree particularly in India and gives striking yellow and red effect in summer.
8) Coral Jasmine /Parijat :- Parijat is a shrub or a small tree growing to 10 m (33 ft) tall, with flaky grey bark. The flowers are fragrant, with a five- to eight-lobed white corolla with an orange-red center; they are produced in clusters of two to seven together, with individual flowers opening at dusk and finishing at dawn.
9) Night Blooming Jasmine :- This is an evergreen woody shrub growing to 4 m tall. The flowers are greenish-white, with a slender tubular corolla 2–2.5 cm long with five acute lobes, 10–13 mm diameter when open at night, and are produced in cymoseinflorescences. A powerful, sweet perfume is released at night.There is also a variety with yellowish flowers.
10) Indian Cork Tree/Millingtonia hortensis :- Millingtonia hortensis is known as Latak chandani in India and an evergreen tree with white flowers. The ornamental tree is famous for its fragrance white flowers.
Collection By – Kajal Thakor